Monday, June 10, 2013

Working in a garden is, well, work! Beginning in February i start my seedlings, then it's planting in the garden, seeds, then plants, tending all the small growing plants. I love it, it's wonderful to be in the garden even when it's not producing. Then, things start to grow, seriously, and you can start harvesting. Small amounts at first, and then it seems like it explodes, and this is just the first small explosion, it will build and build all through the season. Today's harvest includes mature romaine lettuce, I thinned out my red russian and white russian kale, they're pretty big even in this immature state. Got the last of my baby bok choy, a few beautiful strawberries and my first garlic scapes! Garlic scapes are the flower head of the garlic plant. Most soft neck garlics don't produce a scape, but all the hard necks do. You want to cut off the scapes before they flower, that takes too much energy out of the garlic bulb and that's why you're growing the plant, for the blub not the flower. You want to wait till the scape is all twisty, if you cut it too soon, the plant will try to put out another one. I'll talk more about garlic and scapes in my next post. Right now, i'm going to go make some garlic scape pesto, it's so good and i just ran out of the stuff i made last year, so glad they're back!

No comments:

Post a Comment