Friday, June 21, 2013

I've had row covers on some of my tomatoes, eggplants, hot peppers and basil. Now they're getting too tall for the support hoops i have and the weather is finally warm enough to take them off. I was amazed at how large my grafted tomato plants were. In this photo, on the right is a cherokee purple tomato plant. It looks really good, it's starting to bloom and it's healthy and fairly large for this time of year. On the left is a grafted caspian pink tomato plant. Both seedlings were the same size when i planted them. When i took the row cover off the caspian pink i was floored! It's twice as large as the cherokee purple, is fuller and has a lot of flowers on it. We'll see how things progress during the season, but grafting is looking better and better to me. It takes some time and effort, but when you have a short growing season, you want every advantage you can get. To have my tomato plants this large, means i'll be harvesting more tomatoes from this plant, than i will from the plant on the right. More fruit in less space, is always a good thing in urban gardening.

1 comment: