Thursday, August 29, 2013

My garlic is cured, which means i can cut off the dried stem and leaves. You want to keep those stems and leaves on while it's curing, because the garlic uses the energy still in the leaves to help it cure. Garlic gets its best flavor, and is much easier to peel, once it's cured.  I'm really glad it's cured, cause once you cut those stems off, all that garlic stores in a much smaller area, which helps in a tiny place. Though i had a staggered harvest, it was over 4 weeks since i harvested the last of it, so i know it's cured. I also know because when i cut the stems off the skin is nice and papery, which is another way you know it's cured. This is my music garlic, though it may not look like it, it's about 70 heads. I'll use 25 - 30 of them to replant this fall, which still leaves me a nice amount to use. I won't be using this garlic first though. I also grew german red garlic, and it doesn't store as long as the music, so i'll use the german red first and leave the music for later. Next year, i'm going to grow 4 kinds of garlic, including one softneck. More about that in mid October.

No comments:

Post a Comment