Tuesday, May 28, 2013

 I got a really nice harvest today. From left to right; spinach, baby kale, red sails lettuce and romaine lettuce. The romaine isn't quite mature, but i needed to thin it out so the other heads could get larger. I was also thinning out my flat leaf kale, and the baby kale leaves are so tender they're great in salads. The weather is finally moderating a bit. I've got most of my tomatoes, eggplants, basil and hot peppers planted, under row covers but that also protects them from pests. In one garden i'm working in we're having a big problem with flea beetles. They are very hard to control. I'll talk more about them in the next post.
Here's one of my gardens, on the left are sweet snap peas. In the center are collards and flat leaf kale. They're both growing nicely. Last year in this garden i was dueling with a woodchuck. He let my collards, kale and broccoli get nice and large, and then ate them all down to stubs. This year, i put up posts, and netting around the bed, and weighted it down with stones. So far, so good! I don't want to kill the woodchuck, but i work for my food, he shouldn't be so lazy, he needs to go out and get a job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment