Monday, May 13, 2013

As I've mentioned before, it's been a late spring. Here in New Haven CT we're expecting some frost tonight and tomorrow night. If you live in CT, Do NOT put your tender plants out yet. Especially your heat lovers, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers (both sweet and hot) and basil. Wait on any flower seedlings you've started as well. In this photo you can see the row cover i put up. Under it is an organic cloth mulch, that will heat up the soil. What I'm basically doing is creating a little micro climate. The mulch heats the soil, and the row cover keeps that heat in. In a couple of days i'll plant some tomatoes, or eggplants, or peppers, or basil, or some of each, under this row cover. It will protect the seedlings, and allows me to plant a bit earlier than I would be able to normally. I have a few of these in each garden i'm working in. Obviously i need to get some more landscape clips/anchors instead of using bricks, though, use what you got! On the right is my spinach, it's large enough that on saturday i got a nice little harvest of it. The pot holds peppermint, don't want in in my raised bed, but it's a terrific medicinal herb, and worth growing, though i always suggest growing mint or oregano in pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment