Saturday, April 13, 2013

These are the last seedlings I started for this years garden. I started these on April 1st. With the exception of the paper cups that are holding lettuce leaf basil that i started earlier with the grafting tomatoes. These are tomatoes, same varieties that i grafted. I wanted non-grafted tomato plants to compare with the grafted ones. These are sun sugar cherry tomatoes, san marzano paste tomatoes, prudens purple, brandywine and caspian pink. I also started two 6 packs of brussels sprouts. The grafted tomatoes stop growing when you graft them, until they heal. So i started those earlier. Tomatoes are fast growers, and you don't usually plant them here until late may. So, i find starting them at the beginning of april gives me nice strong seedlings that aren't too leggy. I could have started the brussels sprouts in the ground, as seed, as i did with the kale, collards, broccoli, but they do take a long time to mature, so i thought i'd give them a head start.

No comments:

Post a Comment