Thursday, April 4, 2013

My first finished, side grafted tomato plant. When you side graft, you let the graft heal for about 5 days, then you slowly start cutting back the rootstock top, and the scion (top part) root. You cut them back over 3 days. Today i cut the last parts off. The seedling looks good, we'll see if the graft holds. I grafted this tomato a few days earlier than I did most of them. While i was thinking of doing them all at the same time, I think it was a good thing I did this one first. It gave me a bit of practice, not only in the grafting, but in the cutting back. Now i feel a bit more confident in doing the rest of my grafted tomato plants, starting later this weekend. I'll post something soon on the 3 different types of grafting you can do for vegetable plants. Each has it's benefits and drawbacks. It's not easy, but it is interesting! And hopefully I'll be able to have higher producing heirloom tomatoes, which means I can plant less tomato plants and maximize my garden space.

No comments:

Post a Comment