Monday, January 12, 2015

Getting to be the middle of January and time to get those seed orders in! Better to order sooner than later to avoid missing out on anything you'd like to grow because the catalog you order from has sold out. If you're not bothered by having to substitute a different variety than the one you've chosen, then you have time. I order for clients as well as myself and I don't want to have to scramble trying to find winterbor kale cause the place i usually get my seeds from has sold out of it. That has happened to me a few times. Of course, there are times when that will happen anyway, but you stand a better chance of getting everything you want if you order earlier, rather than later.

I use the 3 catalogs in the top of this photo more often than any others. I get most of my seeds from Fedco, which gives you a lot of seed for the money. However, they don't carry everything I want or need. Johhny's is more expensive but they do have some good deals on onion plants, sweet potato slips among others. The catalog is also full of great information on planting, fertilizing, etc on each variety of plant. They also have great photos which are good to look at and compare when you're deciding what to buy for this coming season. Fedco is sans photos, but if you know what you want, or use another catalog to look at photos, you can then order from them and get a better deal.

I live in CT, so I try to order from places in the same area as I live. The seed and/or plants the catalogs I use sell were grown in this area (Maine to be exact), so I know they'll do well in my area. You should try to order from catalogs in the area you live, you'll get better results that way. Though, getting a catalog (such as Johnny's) which has great info and photos, can still be a good resource tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment