Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Part of my harvest today. From left to right; red russian kale, swiss chard, carrots and baby bok choy, which is bit more like teenage bok choy at this point. I also got a few tomatoes, long cayenne hot peppers, lettuce and beets. The fall garden is going nicely, but we're starting to get cooler weather at night. Had to take out a couple of tomato plants today and have a feeling most will go in the next week or so. This isn't altogether a bad thing. I have limited space and i want to get my garlic in soon. I planting 4 kinds this year. Once we start getting some frosts, my collards will also get sweet! There's a zen saying I like a lot, and it applies to gardening; you never get something, but that you lose something. Always changing, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

2 comments:

  1. Such beautiful colors. Do you preserve the greens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I blanch and freeze a lot of kale, chard and beet greens, and I'll do it with my collards as well, once the frost hits them and they get sweet.

    ReplyDelete